Friday, January 1, 2010

1 TBS = 1 tablespoon


I'm not a good cook. I really don't know my way around the kitchen. I should have known this dish was doomed from the beginning when I couldn't complete the first task. "Chop the noodles." I tried to chop, the noodles wouldn't chop. I tried a bread knife to slice them. They wouldn't slice. I finally just dumped some in a blender to break them apart.

Thanks to the bf, Rus. He took the tails of the shrimp for me. I can't measure ingredients, I was thinking i was using something that was 1/2 teaspoon, but it was actually 1/2 tablespoon. So some of the first few ingredients, I put in way too much. Also I was confusing myself, thinking I was doubling the recipe, to make 40 shrimp puffs, but I wasn't.

I tried to be fancy and separate a yolk from the white like they do on tv, but it all just fell in. I don't have a food processor so just used a blender. It seemed my mixture was a little too wet and probably over blended. (Looking too much of a puree). So after forming the "balls" and rolling them in the noodles, I popped them in the freezer to help them maintain their shape. I wasn't planning on cooking them right away. Wanted to bring my fry daddy to my parents' house and fry them there. (The fry daddy made it to my parents' house. The cord to the fry daddy did not).

Also made an orange/ginger dipping sauce. I messed this up too. Not really paying attention to the amounts i was supposed to put in. So i messed up on the first two ingredients and tried to compensate.

Since I couldn't use my fry daddy, I don't think i was able to get the oil hot enough on the stove. It was at most, 320°F and I was supposed to cook these at 375°F. So these could have come out more golden brown. They did puff up a bit, the noodles on the outside were really hard and hard to eat. I think some bread crumbs or another type of noodle would have been better. The puffs themselves were a little bland and did need the dipping sauce.

3 comments:

  1. The shrimp puffs were almost a semi-hot-mess. They looked really tasty and interesting. Pop one in your mouth and the really crunchy hard noodles cut the roof of your mouth.

    The shrimp puff though tasted nice and I thought would go good in some broth. So i put some chicken stock and put the puffs in there to soften the noodles and it made quite a tasty soup.

    Maybe next time roll them in some panko bread crumbs instead of the cut up noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah.. the puffs were "ok".. could have used some more spice. But did taste good in the stock afterwards.

    NOW.. shall we talk about the MESS he made in the kitchen?... LOL. But.. he did clean up most of it, and washed the dishes later. I did however have to vacuum up the rice noodles all of the counter and floor.. LOL. But hey.. Great first try... now.. we'll see what the next expedition brings us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that you were the Jerry Blank of the kitchen! Anyway, they look delicious in the photograph. I'm excited to see what's next.

    ReplyDelete